Wednesday, March 15, 2017

19 weeks - The results are in!

We had our doctor's appointment today.  I like this doctor's office, but I hate waiting and that seems to be all we ever do there. About 15 minutes past our appointment time, the nurse called us back and took us to the sonographer's room.  This sono machine was a little more advanced than what the doctor had used before; plus it was a sonographer instead of the doctor grabbing measurements of the babies.

There is so much more to see now that the babies are bigger (A is 10 oz and B is 9 oz) that I found it kind of hard to tell what we were looking at exactly.  Baby A is still toward the bottom, but more on my left side now.  Baby B is shoved up on my right side closer to my rib cage. I think Baby A was kicking, elbowing, or punching me a few times the other night; it felt like poking, but from the inside and slightly different.  After the sonographer grabbed pictures of everything she needed for each baby (spine, kidneys, heart, head measurements, femur measurements [I have to say that teeny tiny femur was adorable!] and a bunch more that she used weird abbreviations for), she showed us the sex of each baby.  Baby A, the one on the bottom, is a boy.  Baby B, the top one, is a girl. So one of each! I've no clue how the sonographer can read the images that quickly or positively, but I trust her judgement.  We are very excited.  Spencer is rubbing it in already that he was right :)  Now we can finally get started on planning names, nursery, registry, etc.


After we finished the scan, we got to wait for 15 minutes or so to see the doctor.  The nurse answered some of my easier questions. She said my 9 pounds gained so far is right on track, so no need to worry about that as much as I have been. She said I have to suck it up and sleep on my side now.  My hips had hurt from laying on them all night, but now that I've finally wrangled the right pillows, it seems to be going better.  The doctor answered the rest of my more advanced questions (although the nurse might have known too) and measured my belly. I'm measuring 25 weeks right now, even though I'm only 19 weeks (she said that's common with twin pregnancies).  I'm progressing just fine and she doesn't automatically see bedrest in my future.  She still thinks/hopes the babies come right on time.  I'm allowed to get a prenatal massage; I'm rather excited about this because my back and hips have been shifting around and hurt some.  She gave me some advice for the heartburn I've been having.  And she said go see my primary care doctor for my earache I've been having.  She also cleared me to travel to San Antonio next month for a conference, so I'm excited about that (nervous too on how much I'll be able to do without over doing it; last year wore me out and I wasn't 5 months pregnant then).

We go back again in 4 weeks for another sonogram with the sonographer and then a follow up with the doctor.  Each scan will be looking for a variety of things, including their size. One may be bigger than the other, but if they get too different, we may have a slight problem.  I'm not too worried though, just as long as both are nice and big.  I'll have to start paying the doctor's fee next time, but I get to put off the glucose test until the time after that.  Spencer needs to find out his blood type to see if I can avoid getting a shot since I'm O-neg.  

I'll leave ya with a bump shot.

No comments:

Post a Comment