Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Opinions...lots of opinions

Our followup appointment with Dr. Doody didn't provide many answers. It was alot like last time; we just had bad luck and try again. He gave us pricing info for testing our remaining embryos, but didn't really recommend doing it. He said there aren't too many tests with scientific merit that we can run on me either. Basically try again and hope for the best.

Anticipating not getting many answers from Dr. Doody, I decided I wanted other opinions. Our referral had expired, so I figured why not get referrals to new doctors when asking for the renewal. So I found two doctors online that say they treat endometriosis and infertility. I made appointments to see both by the end of July. My hope is that they will have a different idea on how to proceed and maybe be more open to running tons of tests.

We saw the first of the two doctors last week. Dr. Goldstein only sees patients in Frisco (I thought he went to their southlake location too, just a few minutes from us) which makes for quite a trek. We went over our history with Dr. Goldstein and did a new scan and drew blood for some tests. He wants to do a few more tests and then meet again in a few weeks to go over results. As of right now, he feels that our current batch of embryos must not be very good because they haven't worked yet. He feels the best option for proceeding is to do yet another retrieval and a frozen transfer after that. He's confident that with a different drug protocol and (better) lab, we can get better embryos and have more success.  He said we could try to thaw all of our embryos and pick the best couple to transfer and cross our fingers.

I don't even know what to think or do at this point. A year ago, I had really expected to only need to do one retrieval and that we could have a whole family from the resulting embryos. That definitely hasn't worked yet. I don't know how we will afford to do another retrieval; Dr. Goldstein quoted us about $13-15k. For now, I'm just gathering information. We still have another opinion and pricing to gather. Then we can sit down and discuss things.

No comments:

Post a Comment